Fedora as a LTSP server?

Hugo Cisneiros hugo at devin.com.br
Tue Mar 29 18:09:40 UTC 2005

Citando Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>:

> On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 18:18, Hugo Cisneiros wrote:
>
> > I always used Red Hat/Fedora Core on many servers, but last month I came
> with a
> > new project: Fedora as a LTSP server. Anyone here has done it? I'm asking
> > because I'm getting some difficulties.
>
> Look here:
> http://www.k12ltsp.org/phpwiki/
> Just ignore the education-related stuff if you don't need it. If you
> install from their isos you get a normal fedora plus ltsp and
> some other packages.  There is a good mailing list too.

I'll try that. But do you know how it differs from a Fedora Core base
distribution? Because if it's just about installing LTSP on a base
distribution's installating, i'm already doing that.

> > I read many things about LTSP and many people said that they were
> supporting
> > like 30-40 users on a P4 2.0 Server with 512mb of ram. "That's great!" - I
> > thought. So I began installing a LTSP server on Fedora.
>
> You really want more RAM than that - maybe 4 gigs  - and probably a
> dual xeon server for 30+ thin clients.

I searched google and found out many people saying that they got working
computer labs with ltsp and on average 15 clients, just fine with these
servers, like p4 2.0Ghz and 512mb of ram.

I also asked a friend of mine yesterday and he said to me that he had set up 3
computer labs with LTSP just fine, but with other distribution (he doesn't use
fedora core). I said my server hardware (P4 2.0Ghz with 1.5GB of RAM) and he
said that it's more than good enough.

So, these problems with me are happening only with Fedora Core. I must speak
with someone who has implemented Fedora Core and LTSP just fine, but I can't
find anyone that did it.

> --
>   Les Mikesell
>    les at futuresource.com