Top Posting....

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 30 00:26:20 UTC 2005

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> jeezus, can we just start two lists for every fedora-related topic?
> one list will be for clueful people who don't top post, who don't post
> in HTML, who properly trim their posts and who don't have 30-line
> idiotic, company-mandated sigs whose only purpose is to justify their
> corporate lawyers' existence.
>
> the other list will be for the annoying, clueless twits who think
> linux mailing list behaviour should be mandated by what freakin'
> outlook does.

One of the nice things about Mutt is that I can (with procmail support):

 * set up rules to catch HTML-only posts;

 * set up rules for subjects I'm unlikely to know much about (e.g.
   wireless);

 * set up rules for people who are obnoxious or clue-resistant (e.g.
   being a troll, unwarranted insults, or continuing to defend
   top-posting[1]);

 * set up rules to catch out-of-office messages;

 * and set up rules to catch a couple of other problems.

and "score" them down appropriately.

On the other hand, I can score up Red Hat employees, other bright
sparks, and threads that are likely to be interesting or where I can
help.

Then I can sort threads by the score of whoever started a thread, and
colour the index lines according to the score of a post. [2]

It gets me pretty close to what Robert describes.

James.

[1] This thread has been a great source of targets!

[2] (If a post gets scored low enough, it gets automatically read. This
normally only happens if you post only in HTML on a subject I'm not
interested in, if you're on my twit-list and post only in HTML, or if
you *really* break the rules).

--
E-mail address: james |    "Just for once, I wish we would encounter an
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets..."