Please help me with turning off unneeded daemons.

barophobia barophobia at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 01:01:44 UTC 2005

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 01:00:22 +0100, James Wilkinson
<james at westexe.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> What's your principal concern here? Security or saving memory? If it's
> security, once you're sure you don't need a service, look into
> uninstalling it.

Umm... probably performance with security coming in at a close 2nd.
This will be at home with nothing of great importance on it.

> Firstly, switch to run-level 3. In /etc/inittab, change the line that
> reads
> id:5:initdefault:
> id:3:initdefault:
>
> That will stop X starting.

Great thank you.

> ...presumably inwards...

FTP will be used to upload/download my PHP files whilst accessing them
from my Windows box and my IDE of choice.

> Depending on what you're developing, I'd recommend stopping this
> computer serving to the Internet until you've got the stuff debugged,
> and checked for logic holes...

I'm not fluent enough I think to find "logic holes" so I'll just have
to do what I know (turn stuff off, use strong passwords, restrict
firewall to minimum requirements, etc.).

> I've sorted the list of services:

Wow thanks! I don't think I could have even asked for a better
response to my question! Thanks a lot. This will give a lot of good
experiementing time.

Chris.