X doesn't start

Deboo Geek knowledgeful at gmail.com
Sun May 1 21:11:12 UTC 2005

I had a normal working X a few days back. I have a dual bot system and
needed an app for a few days to work on som eproject so did not boot
in to linux for some days. Now when I boot in to linux, neither do I
get the gdm screen for login nor can I start X from console. I got the
error : "Failed to load default font fixed.

This PC has an Intel 865GF MB which is not detected by the kernel
2.4.x which I'm on but still X was doing okay. I tried booting off of
knoppix and copying knoppix's XF86Config but now I get the error : No
screens found. How is knoppix able to start X and when I copy i t's
XF86Config, that doesn't work?

I kept looking for some tool to configure X, but there's no console
tool I could find. There used to be xf86config in old RH systems but
even that is not in Fedora, stramge! I have searched the Fedora
install CDs but there's no such tool

This raises another question:  Is there a rpm equivalent to Debian's
apt-cache search and apt-cache show commands?

Deboo

--
Please don't Cc: me, I'm subscribed to the list.