X doesn't start

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun May 1 21:56:23 UTC 2005

Deboo Geek wrote:
> I had a normal working X a few days back. I have a dual bot system and
> needed an app for a few days to work on som eproject so did not boot
> in to linux for some days. Now when I boot in to linux, neither do I
> get the gdm screen for login nor can I start X from console. I got the
> error : "Failed to load default font fixed.
>
> This PC has an Intel 865GF MB which is not detected by the kernel
> 2.4.x which I'm on but still X was doing okay. I tried booting off of
> knoppix and copying knoppix's XF86Config but now I get the error : No
> screens found. How is knoppix able to start X and when I copy i t's
> XF86Config, that doesn't work?
>
> I kept looking for some tool to configure X, but there's no console
> tool I could find. There used to be xf86config in old RH systems but
> even that is not in Fedora, stramge! I have searched the Fedora
> install CDs but there's no such tool
>
> This raises another question:  Is there a rpm equivalent to Debian's
> apt-cache search and apt-cache show commands?
>
> Deboo

system-config-dislay is the tool to configure X in FC3 and current
development versions.

If you run 'system-config-display --reconfig' it will start with a new
configuration and disregard any previous trials to come up with a new
config file for X.

If your mb has an Intel 865G video, I have one that works great. The
problems needed to be completed before it would work decent was an
upgrade to BIOS (only got 640x480 or 800x600 before upgrade). I had to
change BIOS settings related to legacy video from the default 1MB to an
8MB setting.

Is your BIOS updated and are your setting is BIOS correct?

This may or may not be similar to your problem. I saw 865 and pass on
problems that I resolved with this card type.

Jim

--
I never take work home with me; I always leave it in some bar along the way.