Presentations using FC3

Erik Hemdal ehemdal at townisp.com
Mon May 2 01:17:38 UTC 2005

>On Sun, 2005-05-01 at 11:15 -0500, Gustavo Seabra wrote:
>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have to give a seminar using OO.o Impress / FC3, in a Dell Inspiron
>>> 8600 laptop. I wonder if anyone could give me a hint on how to make it
>>> work with a projector.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>

>I have an Inspiron 5000.
>
>To get it to work for me with nothing else required, I simply booted
>with the projector attached and powered on.  It "just worked".
>
>Also, to switch between video and LCD there is a function key on the
>Dell that does that.

Don't plug in the projector until the laptop is booted up completely.
Most projectors wake up in either 640x480 or 800x600 resolution, and FC
will accept that as the projector's resolution, and will give you an
awful "viewport" behavior.

If you wait for the system to boot (and have X running), then the
projector will get whacked into the system's resolution and do what you
want.

On my Dell laptops, Fn-F8 (look for the blue keycap legends) cycles
through the projector modes.  Look for three: 1) no projector output, 2)
Projector but no LCD screen ouput, 3) Both LCD and projector display.

Test this first.  OOffice sometimes does unusual things with slide
displays, although it generally does very well.

Erik