what 'user' are acpi scripts run as? Forcing DCOP to look atcurrent user?

Birt, Jeffrey birtj at umr.edu
Mon May 2 02:38:19 UTC 2005

This is strange!  This is the perl script which controls the back light and screensaver depending on the lid switch position.

# Manage the backlight. Even if we're not going to sleep, it makes sense.
if ($will_sleep==0 && $device eq "LID") {

 	if ($lid_state eq "open") { # reopening.
		backlight "on";
		system "su -c '/etc/acpi/actions/perl_dcop.pl false' birtj";
		print DEBUG "It's off\n";
	} elsif ($lid_state eq "closed") { #closing.
		backlight "off";
		#system "dcop kdesktop KScreensaverIface enable false";
	}
}

This works fine if I call it manully from a root console.  If it's called from via the acpi lid switch event the backlight is turned of but the screen saver is not turned off.  I assume this is some wierd permissions related problem.  Something like a script called by the 'system' can't call a script as a diffrent user?

I'm lost any ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff_Birt