System hangs when using USB camera drive

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Mon May 2 08:34:44 UTC 2005

Hi,

I have a USB drive camera that mounts like any other USB disk drive. I'm using
FC3 kept up to date with the latest updates (kernel 2.6.11-1.14_FC3 etc.). I
have just tried to transfer some pictures from the USB drive, and 0n 3
occasions the machine hung completely whilst the drive was plugged in. On 2
occasions during the transfer, but once whilst it was simply plugged in and I
was doing something else. The camera if it matters, is an olympus c60z.

One machine is a laptop (DELL 8600) and I also had a USB mouse plugged in at
the same time.

The other is a homemade desktop, and that has a PS/2 mouse and nothing else
USB was plugged in (well, not totally true, the camera was plugged in via the
hub in my screen).

Has anyone else had similar problems ? I've tried seaching the system logs and
didn't spot anything, but then I'm not really sure what to look for ?

Oh, and this worked OK with an older kernel and set of updates (cannot recall
which, but I last tried around mid March so whatever was around then ...)

cheers Chris