getting hibernate / ACPI suspend to work

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Mon May 2 13:13:03 UTC 2005

Hi,

After recently getting standby and suspend to work on my FC3 laptop (by
finding out that the agp settings for the nvidia driver needed tweaking), I'm
trying to get hibernate (suspend to disk) to work for my dell 8600. I run kde
and activate standby / suspend from the klaptop battery icon. However, if I
try hibernate nothing happens. What is this applet doing behind the scenes -
Can I activate these from a console to see any errors etc. ?

I understand I probably need to install something to get hibernate to work,
but not sure what (software suspend 2 perhaps ?). Has anyone managed this,
and do you know of any good instructions on how to do this.

Chris