Jobs and & plus kill option

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon May 2 18:03:43 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-02 at 03:21, Mark Sargent wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> if I start mysql with the following, ./mysqld_safe & it becomes a
> background daemon, yes..? And, if I type jobs, it should show the
> running mysql, yes..? I don't get this, although mysql shows as running
> and I can connect. I also can't kill using, kill 'pid number'. Why do I
> get this.? Something fundamental I'm not understanding..? Cheers.

Since this is fedora, you should be starting mysqld with:
service mysqld start
You don't really want it attached to your shell's jobs.  It probably
is already doing this at boot up and ignoring your command because
the socket is already in use.

The 'safe_mysqld' is actually a shell script, normally started as
root, so other users wouldn't be able to kill it and even root needs
to use kill -9 pid.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com