Strange name resolution [SOLVED]

Patrick Nelson pnelson at neatech.com
Mon May 2 20:57:22 UTC 2005

Rick Stevens wrote:

> Patrick Nelson wrote:
>
>> Wow thought nscd was just for caching authentication...  Didn't think
>> of that one and yes it is running.  However it is running on all the
>> other systems as well.and it should have re-cached the data over the
>> reboot...  Should it?  I did see any other way of flushing the cache
>> other than restarting it.
>

> "nscd -i table-name" will invalidate the cache for the named table.
> Use "nscd -g" to display current statistics.  "nscd --help" will display
> the commands it groks.

Alrighty then...  It appears that nscd could be my culprit.  I found
that the config was persistent for the caches, meaning that a reboot or
restart would not invalidate them.  I found one system that didn't have
nscd on because it messed up the login of users.  So I 'nscd -i passwd'
and 'nscd -i group' it and then it worked.  Wow...  solved another one.
Very cool.  Now on to the DNS

I just tested a DNS change out and I added a 'nscd -i hosts' process to
be done on all systems.  This seemed to have worked with all systems
processing the new CNAME (or resolving for it).  Thanks R and A!