crontab not working...

Paul Almquist paul at almquist.name
Tue May 3 06:05:22 UTC 2005

On Monday 02 May 2005 23:56, Ashish wrote:
> hi,
>
>                whenever i try to execute a command in fedora core 3
> through crontab top -n 1 > /home/ashish/list. the output is not
> generated. i have tried this command through crontab for varios users
> but of no use. i have tried it in /etc/crontab also.plz help me
> --
crontab is used to place cron job schedule information into crond's queue
(/var/spool/cron):  crontab  <schedule-file-name>
There may be only one schedule file active at a time for each user.  In fact
as your schedule file is copied to /var/spool/cron it is given the username
as its file name.  You must be root to see the contents of /var/spool/cron.
crontab -l will list the contents of your currently active schedule file.
crontab -e allows you to edit the currently active schedule file but I prefer
to edit my original schedule file and resubmit it so I always have a copy of
it.  In fact I may have multiple schedule files in my home directory for
various purposes.

See man page crontab(5) for details and examples of what the schedule file
contents should look like.  The crontab lines may contain an actual command
or reference a shell script or other program.

Create you schedule file using any text editor.  Then put it into the crond
queue using crontab.  crontab does some syntax checking of your file at this
time.

crond wakes up every minute to see if there is any work for it to start.  When
it does it will find your schedule file and processes the entries in it,
starting jobs at the specified times.

see also crontab(1) and crond(8)

--
Paul Almquist