Fedora on the second disk

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue May 3 14:19:51 UTC 2005

Gu, John A. (US SSA) wrote:
> I am not with my machine. What I remember is in total 3 partitions.
>
> Hdb1 is the boot.
> Hdb2 is the root.
> Hdb3 is the swap.
>
> Should I reinstall Fedora in order to replace lilo with grub?

Please stop top-posting; I shall not be offering any further replies
whilst you continue to do this.

You don't need to replace your main LILO. What I'm suggesting is to
install grub as the loader for Fedora (which would be on /dev/hdb1 if
the partitions are as you describe them above). You then get LILO to
chain-load grub to boot Fedora (as you attempted), which gives you LILO
to boot RH8 and LILO->grub to boot Fedora.

You could install grub on hdb1 by one of several methods but the easiest
way if you're not familiar with it all would be to reinstall Fedora.
Installing OSes on second disks whilst having the original first drive
removed can result in all sorts of problems, as you have discovered, and
so is best avoided.

Regards, Paul.