Fedora Core brevity vs server upgrades

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed May 4 00:01:41 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 07:54 +0800, John Summerfied wrote:
> Paul Howarth wrote:
>
> >>apt-get works well and I run it nightly in a cron job to download from a
> >>local mirror. It's easy to configure apt-get to use a particular mirror,
> >>and the initial configuration is done at install time.
> >>
> >>I've not discovered a good way to make yum download "hands off." I
> >>_could_ make it download and install, but that's not my style. I like to
> >>control when updates go in.
> >>
> >>By default, yum uses a selection of mirrors in convenient locations such
> >>as .fi. .il and goodness knows where else. I'm in Australia, and there
> >>are few locations further away than those.
> >

> > It's very easy to make yum use a local mirror. I do this both at home at
> > at work. Just point each repo at your local mirror using the "baseurl"
> > directive in your yum repository configuration instead of using the
> > default mirrorlist.
>
> It may be "very easy" but only when you know how. I've installed a few
> Debian systems, and it's impossible to avoid the opportunity to choose a
> local mirror.
>
> First, it asks "What country..."  and that promptly weeds out .fi, .il,
> .ru and .mx.
>
> In contrast, nothing in FC asked me what to use, and I've not seen any
> documentation on the topic. Nor, it happens, do I know a near-by mirror.
>
> It seems some of the mirrors used by Yum are beorkn - I often get 404
> errors.
>
> I'm not a fan on Yum.

You can find a list of mirrors organised geographically at:
http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html

An example of how to set up your own mirrorlist:
http://fedoranews.org/tchung/yum-mirrorlist/

The Fedora installer, in contrast to Debian's, asks as few questions as
it can reasonably get away with. For some people this is an advantage,
and for others it's a disadvantage.

Cheers, Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>