Kernel upgrade possible?

Anand Buddhdev arb at anand.org
Wed May 4 10:41:57 UTC 2005

Coert W wrote:

> Hi All!!!!!

Hi Coert,

> I use Fedora Core 3 with the SMP kernel it came with.
> Is it wise to upgrade? I use the system for normal home use, and
> some development. Currently everything is working perfectly.
> I have the nVidia display driver module loaded into the kernel
> and some modules related to VMware Workstation 5.
>
> If it is a good idea to upgrade, how would I do that?
> Do I need to re-compile the nVidia and VMware modules?

Since this machine is for home use, and probably not exposed directly to
the Internet, my advice would be to stick with the kernel you have now.
As they say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". If however, you _do_
choose to upgrade your kernel, then you'll have to recompile the VMware
modules (but that's easy, the vmware-config.pl script handles that for
you), and you'll also have to re-install your NVidia modules. What I
recommend is that you use the nvidia RPMs from Livna, and that way you
don't have to mess around with anything. Just install the RPMs and
they'll work.

http://rpm.livna.org

The nvidia stuff is in the RPMS.testing directories.