SCSI disk problem

Fred Nussbaum list_subscriptor at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 4 11:21:10 UTC 2005

Hi,

I try to install SuSe 9.x professional on my Intel
SE7520JR2 motherboard and until now fail to do so. The
motherboard has two I/O contollers: a ICH5R controller
for two (Seagate) SATA disks and a LSI 53C1010
controller for the two (Maxtor U320) SCSI disks. Both
controllers claim to support RAID 1. I intend to
install Linux on the SCSI disks and do a software
mirroring for SuSe (and Fedora Core 3) as this (still)
works fine since RedHat 6.2.
The problem (I think) I face is with the SCSI disks.
They are not found by the SuSE installer, eventhough
the disks are seen by the BIOS and the configuration
utility for the LSI controller. The installer 'hangs'
after displaying 'Looking for info file ...'. The only
thing that can be done then is a hard reset. The same
applies to Fedora Core 3 (after loading the mptbase
and mptscsih driver)
What settings do I need for the BIOS and/or the LSI
configuration utility to be able to use the disks and
install (both) O.S.('s)?

I hope someone has a positive installation experience
with this hardware.

Fred