disk replacement

Oliver Vecernik ml at vecernik.at
Wed May 4 12:23:07 UTC 2005

Hi,

I did a "standard" install of FC3. LVM was installed automatically and
found 2 harddisks.

# lvmdiskscan
  /dev/hda  [       37,28 GB]
  /dev/hda1 [      101,94 MB]
  /dev/hda2 [       37,18 GB] LVM physical volume
  /dev/hdb  [       38,35 GB]
  /dev/hdb1 [       38,34 GB] LVM physical volume
  2 disks
  1 partition
  0 LVM physical volume whole disks
  2 LVM physical volumes

# df -h
Dateisystem          Größe Benut  Verf Ben% Eingehängt auf
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
                       74G  4,4G   66G   7% /
/dev/hda1              99M   16M   79M  17% /boot
none                  252M     0  252M   0% /dev/shm

I want to replace /dev/hda because it is an old disk and not really
necessary right now. ;-)

So I tried removing /dev/hdb1 from VG:

# pvmove -v /dev/hdb1
    Finding volume group "VolGroup00"
  No extents available for allocation

# vgreduce VolGroup00 /dev/hdb1
  Physical volume "/dev/hdb1" still in use

Does this mean I have to reduce the LV first?

My thoughts were first to remove /dev/hdb, create two partitions, moving
/boot and VG to it, power down, remove old disk, jumper new one as
master and finally power up.

Can anybody give me some advice?

Thanks.

Oliver