sendmail not working for relaying messages

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed May 4 17:44:33 UTC 2005

Janu Sundaram wrote:
>     Hello,
>
>     I am trying to setup Outlook Express (email client to setup mail
>     accounts) , when I try to send mails outside my domain like
>     @mydomain.com <http://mydomain.com> ie to yahoo or gmail or hotmail,
>     I get this error message
>
>     "The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was>
>     rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was
>     'janu at cs.unm.edu <mailto:janu at cs.unm.edu>'. Subject 'test',
>     Account:'mail.relate24seven.com <http://mail.relate24seven.com><
>     http://mail.relate24seven.com>> ',> Server: '65.103.191.30
>     <http://65.103.191.30> < http://65.103.191.30>', Protocol: SMTP,
>     Server> Response: '550 5.7.1> <janu at cs.unm.edu
>     <mailto:janu at cs.unm.edu>>... Relaying denied', Port: 25,
>     Secure(SSL): No,> Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79.
>

> When I use pine on the server , I can send mails to everyone and recieve
> from everyone.
>
>     I can send mails to @relate24seven.com <http://relate24seven.com> in
>     OE .If this is an OE problem , then I have the same problem with
>     Thunderbird mail client too ; while sending emails it prompts fro
>     password I type in the same password as used for incoming mail
>     server which is the same as the outgoing one , and it does not work
>
>       The following is the iptable file output :
>     # Firewall configuration written by system-config-securitylevel
>     # Manual customization of this file is not recommended.
>     *filter
>     :INPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
>     :FORWARD ACCEPT [0:0]
>     :OUTPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
>     :RH-Firewall-1-INPUT - [0:0]
>     -A INPUT -j RH-Firewall-1-INPUT
>     -A FORWARD -j RH-Firewall-1-INPUT
>     -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
>     -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p icmp --icmp-type any -j ACCEPT
>     -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p 50 -j ACCEPT
>     -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p 51 -j ACCEPT
>     -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p udp --dport 5353 -d 224.0.0.251
>     <http://224.0.0.251> -j ACCEPT
>     -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 631 -j ACCEPT
>     -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
>     -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 80
>     -j ACCEPT
>     -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport
>     443 -j ACCEPT
>     -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 21
>     -j ACCEPT
>     -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 22
>     -j ACCEPT
>     -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 23
>     -j ACCEPT
>     -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 25
>     -j ACCEPT
>     -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport
>     110 -j ACCEPT
>     -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport
>     143 -j ACCEPT
> [...]

Relay is denied by default.  If you're sending from some specific
machines, you can edit /etc/mail/access and add lines such as:

	Connect:www.xxx.yyy.zzz		RELAY

replacing www.xxx.yyy.zzz with the IP address of the sending machine.
Restart sendmail after editing the file:

	service sendmail restart

Sendmail will allow relay ONLY from those machines.  You can also enter
the domain names of the machines into /etc/mail/relay-domains, but
that's a bit less secure.
-          Consciousness: that annoying time between naps.           -