Fedora Core brevity vs server upgrades

Jay Lee jlee at pbu.edu
Wed May 4 19:02:58 UTC 2005

William Hooper wrote:

>>>It is configured to do that be default now, yes.
>>>

>>Ouch - that is very cache-unfriendly.
>>

>It is much, much more mirror friendly, though.

wgetting
http://fedora.redhat.com/download/up2date-mirrors/updates-released-fc3
shows a list of possible mirrors and I assume yum randomly selects one
to use each time (resulting in each request behind a proxy hitting a
different mirror).  What would be ideal is if that url was dynamic and
returned a single mirror url for yum to use.  Squid would then cache
that mirror link as well as the rpms and headers from that mirror
resulting in less traffic to all mirrors.  The scripting on
fedora.redhat.com could be further enhanced to return a mirror close to
where the requesting IP address is.  I really hate it when I fire up
up2date only to have it start pulling from a mirror in Bulgaria or
somewhere else thousands of miles away.  This would be both cache and
mirror friendly to do.  Of course this may be easy for me to say and
difficult to implement...

Jay

--
Jay Lee