Internet radio for FC3?

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Thu May 5 02:24:01 UTC 2005

--- Chris Gramer <cgramer at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Rather than trying to slog through getting amaroK
> running, I'll just
> ask:    What package do you all recommend for
> listening to streaming
> radio on FC3?  And is that package going to have a
> huge list of
> dependencies to satisfy, like a codec for every type
> of audio stream I
> want to play, libraries for various fonts and album
> art display, etc.,
> etc.?  Is there a reason everything has to be so
> modular in Linux?
> Can't an audio player have everything it needs in
> its own
> package/archive?

If you have xmms, with the plugins for xmms-mp3 and
xmms-wma. , you can go to http://www.shoutcast.com/
and click on your favorite station(s) you should be
able to hear most stations.  You can also get
StreamTuner and tune in to stations from there.  It
uses xmms as its engine to play the files.

If you don't like xmms, you can also play most files
with MPlayer.  It works very nicely too.  It does need
some dependencies (lib***.so,...) if you install via
rpm, yum.  However if you have most development tools
installed in your Core installation and you don't mind
compiling, MPlayer gets the job done.

Regards,

Antonio