disk replacement

Oliver Vecernik ml at vecernik.at
Thu May 5 08:57:10 UTC 2005

Hi,

Paul Howarth schrieb:
> You can then boot back into Fedora, in which "df" should show the
> reduced size of the partition. You can then use pvmove to move
> everything off /dev/hdb1 onto /dev/hda2, and then vgreduce to remove
> /dev/hdb1 from the volume group. At that point you can then repartition
> hdb, add a new LVM physical volume into your volume group (vgextend),
> use pvmove to move all the data to hdb, and vgreduce to remove hda2 from
> the volume group. You can also use ext2online to bring the
> /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 filesystem up to the full size of the volume
> it's on so that no space is wasted.

Hmm - still another problem. That's how far I got:

# df -h
Dateisystem          Größe Benut  Verf Ben% Eingehängt auf
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
                       30G  4,4G   24G  16% /
/dev/hda1              99M   16M   79M  17% /boot
none                  252M     0  252M   0% /dev/shm

# vgdisplay -v
    Finding all volume groups
    Finding volume group "VolGroup00"
  --- Volume group ---
  VG Name               VolGroup00
  System ID
  Format                lvm2
  Metadata Areas        2
  Metadata Sequence No  7
  VG Access             read/write
  VG Status             resizable
  MAX LV                0
  Cur LV                2
  Open LV               2
  Max PV                0
  Cur PV                2
  Act PV                2
  VG Size               75,47 GB
  PE Size               32,00 MB
  Total PE              2415
  Alloc PE / Size       1056 / 33,00 GB
  Free  PE / Size       1359 / 42,47 GB
  VG UUID               Scg1fw-WM5q-eoj5-rcf8-AAAi-sKmV-nrWAYK

  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
  VG Name                VolGroup00
  LV UUID                c3JfzP-cN3w-v49v-nXYN-whIc-b5A2-f7KMzx
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              available
  # open                 1
  LV Size                32,00 GB
  Current LE             1024
  Segments               1
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     0
  Block device           253:0

  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01
  VG Name                VolGroup00
  LV UUID                K6Tqyu-jO0S-BpPC-8ob7-t7Qd-SOQ1-aK6EUY
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              available
  # open                 1
  LV Size                1,00 GB
  Current LE             32
  Segments               1
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     0
  Block device           253:1

  --- Physical volumes ---
  PV Name               /dev/hda2
  PV UUID               EpsJjV-7Svg-cMVX-sjdF-lMXQ-ruCB-9bzrXP
  PV Status             allocatable
  Total PE / Free PE    1189 / 133

  PV Name               /dev/hdb1
  PV UUID               0bUeIv-uudT-MadJ-WDpU-yMD0-4P4n-Suitsd
  PV Status             allocatable
  Total PE / Free PE    1226 / 1226

I moved everthing from /dev/hdb1, all PE are free now. But trying to
reduce the VG gives me an error:

# vgreduce /dev/VolGroup00 /dev/hdb1
  /var/lock/lvm/V_/dev/VolGroup00: open failed: Datei oder Verzeichnis
nicht gefunden
  Can't get lock for /dev/VolGroup00

This means that some file or directory is not found. Any ideas what's
going wrong here?

Oliver