slmodemd on FC3?

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Thu May 5 14:02:46 UTC 2005

On Wed, 4 May 2005, Globe Trotter wrote:

> Thanks, got it to compile!
>
> But, the instructions say:
>
> Use option '--alsa' when running 'slmodemd' and ALSA conventional
>   device name ('hw:0' or 'hw:1' for instance). If modem support in
>   the kernel was enabled as module module 'snd-intel8x0m' should be loaded.
>   When using ALSA modem driver you don't need to load other modules ('slamr').
>
> I did the following:
>
> modprobe snd-intel8x0m
>
> Now what? How do I figure out this "device name"?

You can check that the module is loaded with "lsmod".

Then you can start the modem daemon with "slmodemd --alsa".  I do this
from the slmodemd-2.9.10/modem/ directory with "./slmodemd --alsa" when I
want the modem, but you can install the daemon in a system binary
directory like /usr/local/sbin/ and start it in /etc/rc.local if you want.

When the daemon starts, it reports:

# ./slmodemd --alsa
SmartLink Soft Modem: version 2.9.10 Feb 24 2005 17:54:46
symbolic link `/dev/ttySL0' -> `/dev/pts/4' created.
modem `modem:1' created. TTY is `/dev/pts/4'
Use `/dev/ttySL0' as modem device, Ctrl+C for termination.

You can then configure your modem tools to use /dev/ttySL0 as the modem
device.