Installing Windows after Redhat Linux is installed

McGuffey, David DAVID.C.MCGUFFEY at saic.com
Thu May 5 19:42:34 UTC 2005

> By the way there is nothing that windows can do that linux
> can't do, you can
> download open office from the website openoffice.org
> <http://openoffice.org>,
> and get a full featured office suite that is top notch.

If all you want is MS Office clone, then OpenOffice is great.  However, it
isn't always that simple.

What program on Linux will do what "TurboTax" does on Windows?  Same
question for a Garmin "MapSource" "BlueChart" program which loads maps to my
Garmin marine GPS. Same question for "Bible Soft" which does search and
cross references against multiple versions of the Bible. Until Linux has
more market penetration, we are still left with vendors who only write for
Windows.  Some will write for both Windows and the Mac, but few cover all
three.

At this point in time, I'm forced to either dual-boot to XP, have XP running
in a VMWare VM, or attempt to get TurboTax and MapSource to run under wine.
Many programs don't install/run very well under wine, therefore I still must
keep XP around in one way or another.

Dave McGuffey
Principal Information Assurance Engineer
SAIC