BTTV/BT878 Woes - The wicked Dragon rears it's Head again

kwhiskers kwhiskers at gmail.com
Fri May 6 00:22:44 UTC 2005

On 5/5/05, kwhiskers <kwhiskers at gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> I was using my ATI Wonder frame grabber (TV card) right up until August
> 2004, under Fedora 2, without any problem. Then I moved and didn't get
> cable, upgraded to Fedora 3, and never had need of it since. Then, 2 nights
> ago, I wanted to make a copy of a videocassette and was not able to. After
> many hours of fiddling and frustration, I made the copy in Windows, by
> issuing a single one-touch recording click, to record the output of channel
> 3. Nevertheless, this is something I want to solve, so as not to have to
> 'resort' to measures in the future.
>
> I believe my ATI Wonder is properly configured. I have the same modprobe
> settings as I had under FC2 and the same as listed in the kernel
> documentation. dmesg shows that the bttv is loaded as /dev/video0 and I have
> a tuner=2, also properly recognized.
>
> Nevertheless, tvtime fails to show any display at all. In kmplayer, when I
> try to detect the device, it says no devices found. No difference if I
> manually set it to /dev/video0. I have tried to directly access channel 3,
> the one the video machine sends on, by issuing tv://3 in kplayer, mplayer,
> kmplayer, videolan to no avail. I have tried to see whether the video
> machine's channel 3 output appears on channel 3 in the television setting,
> the composite, or the other one (is it svideo, or something). None work.
> Just a blank screen.
>
> Yet, when I use gnomemeeting or camE, I can get 'snow', like having a
> wrong channel tuned. These programs do not have tuner capabilities, so I
> suspect they might be reading what is coming off channel 1, although I could
> be wrong.
>
> I have scoured the documentation, suspecting that something might have
> changed from FC2 => FC3, but I have everything set as in the documentation,
> as far as I can tell. I have the programs using v4l and xv, which I believe
> is the preferred way. Are there other ways? But this always worked before.

I have done more experimentation and have some curious results:

I installed Zapping from freshrpms. Sudenly my TV card works fine. I can
change channels and I can view the feed from the video machine's output.
Only problem is, whenever I click on 'preferences', the program crashes. I
restart and everything runs fine again. Just can't change any preferences in
the gui window. Would have to edit the config file by hand.

However, tvtime still displays absolutely nothing. I have checked that all
my settings are ok (broadcast tv). Just nothing. No sound, no video. And
nothing when I play the video machine.

Kmplayer and kplayer still don't display anything at all. Kmplayer tells me
that there is no device.

Any ideas?