Fedora Core 3 Two questions

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri May 6 11:18:12 UTC 2005

Lee M Ward wrote:
> What's up? I just downloaded and installed FC3 and I'm loving it so far.
> Only two things I'm trying to figure out. First: Is there a any programs
> on here like GnoRPM so I can manage my installed programs a little
> better.

Not really. Probably the nearest is yumex
(http://fedoranews.org/tchung/yumex/), though if you install apt then
there's a highly-regarded GUI for it called synaptic.

The "official" tool is system-config-packages but unfortunately it's
rather broken (especially after you've updated your system) and is due
to be replaced in a future version of Fedora Core.

> Second: Why won't it let me install source RPMs? I tried a
> couple and it keeps telling me I can't because of "system-config-
> packages." Is there any way around this? Thank you for your help. Peace.

There shouldn't be a problem installing SRPMS on the command line. How
are you trying to install them and what exactly is the error message
you're getting?

Paul.