MP3 Join/Merge program for Linux (FC2)?

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Fri May 6 13:47:00 UTC 2005

Michael A. Peters wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-05-05 at 21:19 -0500, Steven Stern wrote:
>

>>Have  you looked at Audacity?
>>
>>http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
>>

> Note on audacity -
> If you want mp3 support, you need to build it yourself.
> Get the src.rpm from Fedora Extras.
> install lame-devel and libmad-devel - and other -devel packages.
> The spec file in the extras src.rpm has (or at least to have)
> instructions in it for how to rebuild it with mp3 support.
>
> There's an alternative called Marlin, last time I tried it (0.7) it
> worked OK but did crash sometimes. With marlin, you can just yum install
> gstreamer-plugins-mp3 and it will support mp3.
>
> I'm not positive, but sox may also be able to join mp3's - again though,
> you'd have to rebuild it - the sox in fedora does not support mp3.

Why don't you install mpg321 and convert your mp3 files to WAVE?
Audacity supports WAVE, and when you get a fully joined file you can
burn it to CD or use any other open-source converter to render it in Ogg
Vorbis, if you really need space, or FLAC if you can stand a slightly
larger file. (FLAC, if I understand correctly, is lossless, while Ogg
Vorbis is a lossy compression scheme that "loses" things in places
different from those where MP3 "loses" things. WAVE, of course, is
uncompressed.)

Temlakos