can not find grub.conf

Charles Li cli168 at yahoo.com
Fri May 6 14:16:20 UTC 2005

--- Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:
> Charles Li wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I did an upgrade with yum for my kernel, and now I
> can
> > not find grub.conf.  I did not check before the
> > upgrade, so it might not be there before the
> upgrade.
> > According to the ls -l command, the grup.conf is
> link
> > to /boot/grub/grub.conf, but I do not see it under
> > boot.  Also, if I issue vi /etc/grub.conf, it ask
> if I
> > want to create a new file.  What is going on?
> Please
> > help.  Thanks.
> >
> > [root at localhost ~]# ls -l /etc/grub.conf
> > lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 22 May  5 14:04
> /etc/grub.conf
> > -> ../boot/grub/grub.conf
> > [root at localhost ~]# ls -la /boot
> > total 3428
> > drwxr-xr-x   2 root root    4096 May  5 18:07 .
> > drwxr-xr-x  23 root root    4096 May  5 19:37 ..
> > -rw-r--r--   1 root root   55445 Apr  7 19:33
> > config-2.6.11-1.14_FC3
> > -rw-r--r--   1 root root  985168 May  5 18:07
> > initrd-2.6.11-1.14_FC3.img
> > -rw-r--r--   1 root root  754309 Apr  7 19:33
> > System.map-2.6.11-1.14_FC3
> > -rw-r--r--   1 root root 1658853 Apr  7 19:33
> > vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.14_FC3
>
> If your system still boots properly, it's likely
> that you have a
> separate /boot partition and that for some reason it
> was not mounted
> when you did the yum update that installed the last
> kernel, and it's not
> mounted now. Can you post your /etc/fstab? What
> happens if you do:
>
> # mount /boot
>
> Paul.
>
> --

Now I remember I see a message during bootup that
saids can not mount /boot alread mounted

[root at localhost ~]# mount /boot
mount: LABEL=/boot duplicate - not mounted

[root at localhost ~]# cat /etc/fstab
# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man
fstab-sync' for details
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /                       ext3
  defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3
 defaults        1 2
none                    /dev/pts                devpts
 gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs
 defaults        0 0
none                    /proc                   proc
 defaults        0 0
none                    /sys                    sysfs
 defaults        0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap                    swap
  defaults        0 0
/dev/hdd                /media/cdrom            auto

pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,ro,exec,noauto,managed
0 0
/dev/fd0                /media/floppy           auto

pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,exec,noauto,managed
0 0

Thanks,
Charles Li