how to let non-root user start dial up?

Toralf Lund toralf at procaptura.com
Fri May 6 20:43:58 UTC 2005

Charles Li wrote:

>I would like to setup a non-root account to use the
>dialup.  I have it setup in the Network configuration
>console to activate the dialup, but it needs the root
>password.  Can you let the non-root account sudo the
>Network configuration console?  If yes, what is the
>command to do this?

Hmmm. Not entirely sure about dialup, but for other types of networking,
you can enable non-root control via

Allow all users to enable and disable the device

in the device config dialog (available via Edit on the Devices page in
Network Configuration.) Any user can the enable or disable the device
via System Tools->Network Device Control.  Note: This is not the same
thing as the Network configurator; command is system-control-network,
the other is system-config-network.