how to let non-root user start dial up?

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Fri May 6 20:47:16 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 12:51 -0700, Charles Li wrote:
> I would like to setup a non-root account to use the
> dialup.  I have it setup in the Network configuration
> console to activate the dialup, but it needs the root
> password.  Can you let the non-root account sudo the
> Network configuration console?  If yes, what is the
> command to do this?

I don't have dialup, but I suspect it is the same as for other
interfaces.
Go into the System Settings --> Network Configuration menu

Choose the ppp0 device (so it's highlighted)
Click the Edit button

Check the box that says "Allow All Users to Enable and Disable This
Device"

Save and exit.

Now, any user logged in at the console can start it by going to

System Tools --> Network Device Control

On my system, I added that to the gnome panel to make it even easier.