[lvm] renaming LV and VG

Oliver Vecernik ml at vecernik.at
Sat May 7 09:34:04 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm still playing with FC3 lvm and like to rename the original names
VolGroup00 and LogVol0x to something else.

I tried to rename the LVs and it worked, but even after updating fstab I
got a kernel panic after rebooting, because it couldn't find the logical
volumes. I started FC3 disk #1 with 'linux rescue' and renamed the LVs
back. Everthing is fine again.

What went wrong here? Why was I not able to reboot?

Trying to rename the VG didn't work either, because the command
complained of active LVs. I doubt if this is even possible with only one
active VG.

Is there maybe a HOWTO somewhere?

Oliver.