GRUB Install

Richard E Miles r.godzilla at comcast.net
Sun May 8 00:00:36 UTC 2005

On Sun, 08 May 2005 04:36:47 +0500
"azeem ahmad" <azeem81 at msn.com> wrote:

> >From: Billy Tallis <wtallis at gmail.com>
> >To: tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie,For users of Fedora Core releases
> ><fedora-list at redhat.com>
> >Subject: Re: GRUB Install
> >Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 16:30:03 -0400

> >install

> >question
> >have
> > >
> > > grub consists of several parts - the actual boot-loader,
> > > and one or two files that this points to,
> > > which need not be on the same disk.
> > >
> > > Assuming you are running Linux, you could say
> > > "grub-install /dev/hdb" (substituting the disk you are using for hdb).
> > >
> > > Then you could look at what you have created with
> > >         dd if=/dev/hdb of=myboot bs=512 count=1
> > >

> >GRUB fits on a floppy, if you remember them. You may not need to use a
> >hard disk for it at all.
> infact what i want to do is to install GRUB on a harddisk then point
> bootloader to the initrd and vmlinuz of isolinux so that it can boot the
> installer of linux. infact i want to make such a harddisk that contain linux
> iso images and boot linux installer so that i can be able to just put this
> harddisk into any computer, boot from this harddisk and start linux
> installation for that computer's disk
> Regards
> Azeem

If I understand you then you want to physically put a hard dick containing
the grub boot loader along with fedora core 3 on the hard disk in a
computer. If that is what you want then if you have installed Fedora you
already have all that is needed since fedora has the grub boot loader in
the /dev/hda mbr.

If what you mean is to run fedora from a cd, you will have to first install
fedora on the computer. The iso images are what the fedora installation
consists of. It would just be an install of fedora.

If what you want is a live cd containing fedora you will have to check with
google to see if such a thing exists. A live cd would run from the cd
without actually changing a computers hard drive contents.

--
Richard E Miles
Federal Way WA. USA