Fedora Dispute

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Sun May 8 02:54:27 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Hoffman" <dhoffman2004 at gmail.com>
To: "Murali Parth" <muralinux at gmail.com>; "For users of Fedora Core
releases" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Saturday, May 07, 2005 9:33 PM
Subject: Re: Re : Fedora Dispute

> On 5/7/05, Murali Parth <muralinux at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello List,
>> Are we in danger of losing the name "Fedora" due the reported claim by
>> Cornell and Virginia universities ? Could any one clarify on this so
>> that we get to know the facts ?
>> Murali
>
> If they have to rename it, that doesn't mean any of the functionality
> will go away. So who cares what it's called?

This is really a tempest in a teapot.  The Cornell/UVA use and Red Hat's use
of the name do not conflict.  One is for a digital management system and one
is for a Linux distribution.  I suspect anyone who can spell the word
"computer" will know that they are not the same thing.

Cornell/UVA are making this into more than it is - Red Hat's own lawyers
have said that they can't see any way that there could be a conflict.  See
http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/11/20/HNredhatfedora_1.html for more
info.

Thomas