VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

Kurt Newman kurt at lamer.org
Sun May 8 03:51:11 UTC 2005

I created my own custom Linux kernel (2.6.11-8). I've compiled pretty
much everything that I need into the kernel (except for a few irrelevant
things). All my drivers like, ext2, ext3, SATA drivers (the scsi
variant), etc are in the kernel. To compile the kernel I
simply did the following:

> cd /usr/src/linux
> make menuconfig (then do my configing)
> make clean bzImage modules
> make modules_install
> make install

make install creates the initrd for me (which always seems to be one of
the "solutions" to people's problems.. apparently not for me) and even
modifies my grub.conf using grubby automatically. Yet, when I boot, I
continue to get the output listed in the topic during startup. At the
stage in the game that this comes up, the kernel is mounting all the
necessary partitions it needs and grub should long be gone (which is why
I'm not sure if it's an initrd issue, not sure though).

I have read through the GNU Grub online manual (twice now.. though I'm
still not really sure how much works), many google searches of proposed
solutions to this problem, looked through RedHat's source rpm spec file
of their kernel build, and I've still been unable to figure out why this
is occurring.

Since editing my /etc/grub.conf and replacing 'root=LABEL=/' with
'root=/dev/sda7' WORKS.. I'm trying to figure out why using LABEL=/ does
not.

Here's some discovery info I'm providing in case it's needed.

==================

At the grub prompt during boot, pressing 'c':

grub> root
(hd0,0): Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83

===============

The entry I'm attempting to use by pressing, 'e', I believe:

root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.11.8-custom ro root=LABEL=/
initrf /initrd-2.6.11.8-custom.img

===============

Using the pre-installed kernel that came with this Fedora Core 2 updated
release, then at the console typing, grub --no-floppy (this box doesn't
have a floppy):

grub> root
(fd0): Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x0

===============

> cat /boot/grub/grub.conf

#boot=/dev/sda
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Fedora Core (2.6.11.8-custom)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.11.8-custom ro root=LABEL=/
initrd /initrd-2.6.11.8-custom.img
title Fedora Core (2.6.5-1.358smp)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.358smp ro root=LABEL=/
initrd /initrd-2.6.5-1.358smp.img
title Fedora Core (2.6.5-1.358)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.358 ro root=LABEL=/
initrd /initrd-2.6.5-1.358.img

===============

> cat /boot/grub/device.map

# this device map was generated by anaconda
(hd0) /dev/sda

===============

> cat /etc/fstab

LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
etc...

> e2label /dev/sda7
/

I've been working on this out for about 1.5 days now. Could anyone lend
a helpful hand?

Regards,
Kurt