USB WiFi

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sun May 8 12:03:15 UTC 2005

<posted & mailed>

Billy Tallis wrote:

>> Is anyone using USB WiFi devices with Fedora?
>> I have a Lucent/Orinoco USB Gold Client,
>>
>> I have been looking at the
>> "Linux driver for Lucent/Agere ORiNOCO USB devices"
>> by Øystein Olsen at <http://folk.uio.no/oeysteio/orinoco-usb/>,
>> and have downloaded the Fedora-3 RPM.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I find some of the instructions rather confusing.
>>
>> (1) It says that
>> "The orinoco-usb driver is for now only available from cvs".
>> But I can't find an orinoco-usb CVS.
>> Does this mean the orinoco CVS?
>>
>> In any case, since there is an orinoco-usb rpm.
>> I assume there must be a separate CVS for this application.
>> Is this a misunderstanding?
>> Or if not, where is the orinoco-usb CVS?
>
> Just follow the links to the savanna nongnu page and click on CVS.
> Or go here : http://savannah.nongnu.org/cvs/?group=orinoco

OK, I got the CVS code, compiled it (with linux-2.6.11) and installed it.
There was no problem in that.
I noticed that orinoco_usb.c was not compiled with the given Makefile,
which contains the lines
==============================
ifdef CONFIG_USB
ifdef CONFIG_FW_LOADER
MODULES += orinoco_usb.o
endif
MODULES += prism_usb.o
endif
==============================
So I added
CONFIG_USB=1
CONFIG_FW_LOADER=1
at the beginning of the Makefile,
and now orinoco_usb.o was compiled,
and added to /lib/modules by "make install".

This module was not added automatically
when I plugged in the USB device,
so I added it with "modprobe orinoco_usb".

I saw from /var/log/messages that my laptop
did indeed see this device.
However, no entry in /dev seemed to be made,
and it is not clear to me how this module
is meant to be used.

So I would repeat my query:
Is anyone actually using the Lucent/Orinoco USB WiFi device
(or indeed, any USB WiFi device) under Fedora?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366