Suggestions for laptop purchase for Fedora Core 3?

lloyd545220-trucker at yahoo.com lloyd545220-trucker at yahoo.com
Sun May 8 18:05:56 UTC 2005

I bought a Toshiba Satellite 3 years ago with the
Toshiba extended 3 year warranty. It came with Win XP.
I have since partitioned the hard drive and put FC3 on
it.

Without a doubt, you can buy parts off of the shelf
and make an outstanding desktop computer. But it is
usually cheaper to buy one already put together.
However, if you put it together your self, you would
probably have better parts. And with time and
patience, I don't think a laptop is beyond a home
builder, either.

But the warranty is the kicker. I've dropped my laptop
pushing a PCMCIA card right through the Motherboard
which was replaced. I've had the mounting hardware
holding the screen replaced. And I've had the BIOS
battery replaced. All at no cost to me because of that
warranty. I travel all over the country and it doesn't
matter where I am, the warranty has covered the
computer.

That is why you go with major brands...

Also, FC3 works flawlessly on this laptop. (I recently
reported this to Toshiba, who had inquired about it.)
I have a card reader for the PCMCIA slot. I plug it in
and use the card just like any other external drive. I
also have external hard drives, CD-ROMs, scanners,
printers, cameras, WiFi cards, USB2 cards, etc.

I've only run into 2 problems. I have a Sony voice
recorder with a USB connection that it doesn't like,
and FC3 doesn't like my scanner. I'm told that there
is a work-around for both of these problems. I just
haven't had time to deal with it.

Lloyd