USB WiFi

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sun May 8 20:42:45 UTC 2005

On Sun 08 May 2005 17:21, Jeff Vian wrote:

> Are you using a 2.6.X kernel?
> The module names changed from module.o to module.ko with the 2.6
> kernels.  That may be part of your problem.

Thanks for your suggestion.
I am indeed running linux-2.6.11 .
But I have the correct module:
/lib/modules/2.6.11/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco_usb.ko
And "modprobe orinoco_usb" installs this module correctly.

Incidentally, the new orinoco_cs module works perfectly
with an Orinoco Gold PCMCIA WiFi card.

May I ask if you are using a USB WiFi device?
I haven't heard from anyone who is doing so, up to now.

One point I do not understand is whether one is meant to take steps
to upload the firmware (in some sense)
and if so how that is done.

As always, any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366