Suggestions for laptop purchase for Fedora Core 3?

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Mon May 9 01:43:50 UTC 2005

On Sun, 8 May 2005, Michael A. Peters wrote:

> On Sun, 2005-05-08 at 11:05 -0700, lloyd545220-trucker at yahoo.com wrote:
>

>> But the warranty is the kicker. I've dropped my laptop
>> pushing a PCMCIA card right through the Motherboard
>> which was replaced. I've had the mounting hardware
>> holding the screen replaced. And I've had the BIOS
>> battery replaced. All at no cost to me because of that
>> warranty. I travel all over the country and it doesn't
>> matter where I am, the warranty has covered the
>> computer.
>>
>> That is why you go with major brands...
>
> I have always liked IBM laptops - thinkpads.
> They have three mouse buttons.
>
> I do not know how well current models work with Linux, and they soon
> will be built by someone other than IBM.

thinkpads haven't really been build by ibm for a while anyway (contract
manufacturing being what it is)... I have recent fedora core 3 experience
with the t42 t42p and x40 all of which work fairly well with fedora. If
you want accelerated opengl on the t42s with the radeon 9600 or firegl2
you have to forego acpi suspend because it doesn't work with the
proprietary ati driver... all of the ibm that use intel built-in video
sleep with minor effort.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu