Yum basics

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon May 9 12:32:59 UTC 2005

Ninad Bapat wrote:
>  I have installed FC3 and everything is fine. I am using FC3 for the first time.
> I would like to know the following about Yum
>
> 1.Do I have to be connected to the internet to use yum

By default, yes. It is possible to set up your own repository on your
machine or your LAN, but you would still have to obtain the packages
somehow.

> 2.How can I find the packages already installed by FC3 on my PC by using yum

Use rpm instead:

$ rpm -qa
will list all of the packages you have installed

$ rpm -qi packagename
will tell you what the "packagename" package is for

> 3.Is there a front end for yum.

Try yumex: http://fedoranews.org/tchung/yumex/

Paul.