OT: What's the deal with Ubuntu?

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Tue May 10 03:24:59 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-09 at 19:57 -0700, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-05-09 at 21:10 -0400, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> > Hi Everyone,
> >
> > There's a lot of talk around the Linux camp about Ubuntu: why? I've read
> > some reviews about it and a few snippets here and there of users
> > opinions on it, but I still don't get it.

Ubuntu, to me, extends on the Fedora mantra of "Just Works" Debian
Style. That's it. TO me anyway.

> Their was a similar fanfare with Knoppix - which was likely deserved,
> it's a great 1 CD distro, and there was a similar fanfare over gentoo -
> which is interesting but imho only suitable if you run a desktop and
> have time, and there was a similar fanfare over the now defunct Rock
> Linux.

I resent that. Time may be something that you need a lot of in the
beginning but when it's all set up, it's all a breeze.

No worry about the 9-18 months support cycle either.

Besides, I went the Gentoo Path because it's education value is second
to none. (1st would be LFS - Linux From Scratch)

> I don't personally use Debian or Gentoo, but I value from them because
> sometimes when I can't get something to compile, I can steal a patch
> from them. I tried Gentoo because it works from a cdrom and GNOME is my
> preferred environment, but I actually prefer Knoppix for "live" distro
> because it is (imho) better put together - more mature, despite using
> the desktop that I'm not quite as fond of (though it has gotten a lot
> better than when I initially switched from KDE to GNOME)

Knoppix is the Mom of all liveCDs I would have to say. I keep a copy in
my laptop bag.

--
Ow Mun Heng
Gentoo/Linux on DELL D600 1.4Ghz