OT: What's the deal with Ubuntu?

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Tue May 10 10:08:12 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-09 at 21:10 -0700, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 11:24 +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
>

> > I resent that. Time may be something that you need a lot of in the
> > beginning but when it's all set up, it's all a breeze.
>
> I truly apologize.
> That was not appropriate and came off wrong - I went through LFS several
> times for the same reason, to learn.

No Worries. Didn't to come off with guns blazing :-)

And I have to admit, going from RH/FC to Gentoo was a pretty humbling
experience.

> The point about servers is that it requires that you have a compiler on
> the server, and rebuilding something like glibc due to a security bug
> can take time, whereas a binary distribution is rather fast, just an
> update - and doesn't take system resources to build.

This is most understandable. Which is why we have build hosts/farm and
binary packages pushed out via cron etc.

emerge -k world

--
Ow Mun Heng
Gentoo/Linux on DELL D600 1.4Ghz