Install grub to CD, but use HD grub.conf?

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue May 10 12:42:18 UTC 2005

Paul Howarth wrote:
> Why not install grub on the root/boot partition of your FC3 installation
> instead and chain-load grub from the NT/XP bootloader? This method
> doesn't touch the MBR but gives you a boot menu and doesn't need any
> external boot medium. And it'll still work after you updare your kernel.
> "Bootpart" is a helpful utility for setting this up:
>
> http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm

I've also found that NT will leave a Linux boot option in an NT
bootloader alone if you reinstall or upgrade NT. (This doesn't work if
you format the drive containing the bootsector image, obviously).

James.

--
E-mail address: james | It is difficult to produce a television documentary
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | that is both incisive and probing when every twelve