Moving raid to different machine

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Tue May 10 14:06:09 UTC 2005

Ashley M. Kirchner writes:

>     With a mail spooler going down yesterday, I'm faced with a small
> problem.  The machine, running RH7.3, had a raid consisting of 2 SCSI
> drives that were striped together (software raid.)  Is there some way I
> can pull these drives out with their controller, stick them in a
> different machine, get the raid going, and be able to pull the data
> off?  If so, how?  I don't know if there are certain files I need, but
> on backup I have /etc but no /boot (which is where grub lived in those
> days.)
>
>     The raidtab as it was looks like this:
>
> raiddev             /dev/md0
> raid-level                  0
> nr-raid-disks               2
> chunk-size                  64k
> persistent-superblock       1
> nr-spare-disks              0
>     device          /dev/sda1
>     raid-disk     0
>     device          /dev/sdc1
>     raid-disk     1

Try this: install Fedora on another box.  When you install it create a small
raid partition somewhere.  Doesn't matter what it actually is, the only
thing that needs to happen is to have anaconda create an initrd that loads
the raid modules at boot time.  Then, you should be able to move your old
disks to the other machine, and they should come up at boot.