what is the latest version of openssh-server

Jeremiah Foster jeremiah.foster at gmail.com
Tue May 10 15:00:17 UTC 2005

jim martin wrote:

>Hi.. We are using openssh-server-3.9p1-7 for our FC3
>box,
>
>[root at wa ]# rpm -qa | grep openssh-server
>openssh-server-3.9p1-7
>
>however our auditor want us to upgrade from
>Openssh protocol '1' to '2'

The protocol your auditor speaks of is built into most newer versions of
openssh, so in fact you do not have to upgrade the openssh software if
you want to use protocol 2. Read up about the different protocols in
openssh to find out more, maybe start with

$ man ssh

at the command line. For example it says;

     Protocol 2 provides additional mechanisms for confidentiality (the
traf-
     fic is encrypted using 3DES, Blowfish, CAST128 or Arcfour) and
integrity
     (hmac-md5, hmac-sha1).  Note that protocol 1 lacks a strong
mechanism for
     ensuring the integrity of the connection.

>it means I need to upgrade to openssh-server-3.9p2..
>right??

No.

>But when I do a
>
>[root at wa]# up2date --showall | grep openssh-server
>openssh-server-3.9p1-8.0.1.i386
>
>It is still p1 only
>
>I log on to https://rhn.redhat.com/ and did a search
>on openssh-server package. those available are all p1
>only.  Am I going to the right URL for FC3 ??

You may want to download the latest version of openssh, it is available
from http://www.openssh.com/portable.html

The latest version was released in March and is version 4.0p1. Note that
If you are using certain older versions of openssh you may be at risk.
See today's New York Times for more information.

Jeremiah