openssl-0.9.7a-35 errors

dan info at hostinthebox.net
Tue May 10 20:25:50 UTC 2005

Hello, all -

I've sent a few emails to the OpenSSL list, and haven't found a whole
lot of answers to my problem.  Since there are usually some pretty
clever people around on the fedora-list list, I thought I'd throw a
message here and see if I could get some feedback.

We're developing an application in-house, written in C++, that uses
OpenSSL to accept a secured connection from a client (clients are
currently written in PHP, .NET, and C).  This application is threaded,
and it works quite well for, well, one thread.  However, as we increase
the number of threads, we encounter the following error:

6301:error:1408F455:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_RECORD:decryption failed or
bad record mac:s3_pkt.c:424:

I'm not as skilled in the ways of gdb as I'd like to be.  The most I've
done with this is ran an strace on the application, and haven't seen
anything totally out of the ordinary that I could recognize.

I've linked the app against openssl-0.9.7g, and now we receive the
following error:

12822:error:140B544E:SSL routines:SSL_GET_NEW_SESSION:ssl session id
callback failed:ssl_sess.c:220:

Both of these are greek to me - however, I haven't been able to find any
solid information on these errors, or even what they really mean.  The
most I've found on the 'net is people complaining about getting these
errors.

So if anyone has seen these types of errors in the past when developing
an application, I would greatly appreciate some insight.  I'm just
grabbing for answers here, and any help would be very good at this point.

Thanks for the time
-dant