OT: What's the deal with Ubuntu?

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed May 11 07:39:25 UTC 2005

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> There's a lot of talk around the Linux camp about Ubuntu: why? I've read
> some reviews about it and a few snippets here and there of users
> opinions on it, but I still don't get it.
>
> Short of installing Ubuntu myself, can anyone give me a quick run down
> on why Ubuntu is apparently rising like a rocket?  Any big differences
> between Ubuntu and Fedora, besides the fact that Ubuntu is based on
> bleeding-edge Debian?
>
> Also, how does one pronounce the name?  You-bun-too?  Ooo-bun-too?
>
> Intrigued,
>
> Ranbir

Here's part of it. This is cut and paste from sounder at ubuntu.com:

"""
We got in a new loaner from LinuxCertified.com, the brand new LC2210D
model: a Centrino 1.80 GHz CPU, 512 MBs of RAM, Intel Extreme gfx
card, 40 GB drive and a 14" XGA TFT screen. The laptop comes with the
latest Ubuntu installed and sells for $1249.

../..

Conclusion:
This is a great laptop, hardware-speaking. But Ubuntu and some of LC's
setup have their problems

../..

"""

Not too good-looking an article for Ubuntu, I fear. Nevertheless, I
learned it's now possible to buy an Ubuntu-preloaded machine - and
scouting linuxcertified machines reviews around the web, I couldn't
find another one featuring Ubuntu.

and then the followup from Mark Shuttleworth:

 >Not too good-looking an article for Ubuntu, I fear. Nevertheless, I
 >>learned it's now possible to buy an Ubuntu-preloaded machine - and
 >>scouting linuxcertified machines reviews around the web, I couldn't
 >>find another one featuring Ubuntu.

I'll contact them about improving the setup and config for a better
end-user experience.

Thanks for the pointer!
Mark

Mark is the the bloke who stands behind Ubuntu. It's his money, and he's
serious about getting it right. His reaction would have been the same if
you or I had the problems and posted to ubuntu-ueers.

He's made a fortune (Thwarte) and he's putting back.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait