OT: What's the deal with Ubuntu?

Charles E Taylor IV tomalek at mindspring.com
Wed May 11 14:09:35 UTC 2005

On Wed, 11 May 2005 11:22:19 +0530
Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at redhat.com> wrote:

> RPM is comparable to dpkg and not apt.  up2date, yum and APT4RPM has
> been available to resolve  dependencies automatically for quite a long
> time

The only issue a Fedora user might face here (and this one is getting
better too) is thet there are lots of small repositories for Fedora/RH
that aren't necessarily compatible with each other.  In my short
experience with Ubuntu, I found it easier to grab the packages I consider
essential for my work with Ubuntu than with Fedora Core.

This is probably mainly because Debian's been doing the repository thing
longer than Red Hat, and they just have more software packaged up and
ready to go ...

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek at mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!