*** glibc detected *** problem

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Wed May 11 14:12:39 UTC 2005

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 04:06:29PM +0200, Enrico Pisoni wrote:
> I've a problem...
>
> I've compiled a meteorological model using Intel Fortran Compiler
> 8.1...and everything is ok...
>
> The model can be used in 4 different configurations...and for 3 of them
> everything is ok....
> but using the 4th configuration, I received this message error:
> *** glibc detected *** free(): invalid next size (normal): 0x093efc48 ***
> forrtl: error (76): IOT trap signal
>
> What does it means?
> Is it a problem of the operative system? or of C libraries? or of
> Fortran? or of the Sourc Code?

It means that there was some kind of memory corruption, be it writing beyond
end of malloced buffer (or before its start), double free, freeing something
that has not been malloced, etc.
It can be a bug in your source code, or the compiler you are using, or
its support libraries.
Run the program under a few debug utilities, such as valgrind, ElectricFence,
MALLOC_CHECK_=3 and see where the corruption happens.

	Jakub