OT: What's the deal with Ubuntu?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed May 11 17:33:40 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-11 at 06:00, Claude Jones wrote:

> > Are you saying there's no iptables? THAT would be very scary.
> >

> No, I'm not saying that - iptables is there. And you could quickly code
> something, but that's not something a relative newcomer like myself would
> know how to do quickly. Kind of flies in the face of ubuntu's ease-of-use
> philosophy. I think I understand their thinking on it, but I still think it
> would be preferable to allow the user at least the basic security choices
> that FC does on install.

Firewalls on hosts that aren't doing routing are just there to cover
up mistakes.  That is, if you don't have a service listening for
a connection you won't accept connections with or without a firewall.
If you do have a service running, you will need a hole in the firewall
to let the associated connections through anyway.   Firewalls only
help if you start services that you don't want to work.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com