vmware 4.5.2 on FC3, winxp guest can't write properly to mounted partiotion

Yuandan Zhang yzhang4 at turing.une.edu.au
Thu May 12 00:20:25 UTC 2005

  *1. Dual boot system (winxp + FC3) with 3 partitions (C, D for window)
and linux partition.
*
I have dual-boot laptop (winxp and FC3). two partitions for winxp (C:
and D: ), D: is vfat file system and mounted to FC3 linux.

2. Under Linux, partition D is mounted to linux.

3. A vmware workstation 4.5.2 on linux host, with a winxp guest.

I have vmware (workstation 4.5.2) on linux host and with a winxp guest.
I want to access the host file system either via samba or shared folder.
I have not made the samba server working (on winxp guest, can't find
where to look for the host pc). I tried shared folders, it partially works.
At the winxp guest, I set the mounted D: as one of shared folders for
the guest. The D: file system is writable on the linux host, but as one
of the shared folders on guest operation system, D: is a read-only on
the winxp guest. I tried to change the read-only attribute at the guest,
but it quickly reversed back to read-only. I set all shared folders NOT
in read-only mode. Other shared folders (linux file system) are all
writable. How to make the shared folder writable?

The mount option in fstab for D: is
/dev/hda5               /mnt/D                vfat   users,noauto 0 0

4. seems something to do with mounting D on linux?

After that, I modified the mount option to
 /dev/hda5               /mnt/D                vfat
rw,exec,nodev,sync 0 0

then I was able to write to most of the shared folder D,  However, There
was a problem when writting to one file (MS Outlook personal folder file
for calendar, contacts etc, suncrinised with a iPAQ PAD). It seems that
there was a random access to write to this file. some time I can save
changes to this file, some time can't,  it showed access denied. This is
same if i modify the mount option as
/dev/hda5               /mnt/D              vfat   defaults  0 0

Any idea? Thanks

Yuandan