Playing DVD freezes the computer

Xiaotian Sun sun.xiaotian at gmail.com
Thu May 12 17:59:08 UTC 2005

On 5/12/05, Temlakos <temlakos at gmail.com> wrote:
> Xiaotian Sun wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I never had this problem before.  But yesterday when I was watching a
> > DVD on my FC3 box using xine 0.99.3, suddenly in the middle of
> > playback, the whole computer froze: no response to keyboard, mouse, or
> > remote log in.  I had to do a hard reset.
> >
> > Then I switch mplayer, it was fine for like 10 minutes, then the
> > computer froze again.
> >
> > I couldn't figure out what went wrong.  There's nothing obviously
> > wrong in the log.
> >
> > Another question, what is the difference between libdvdcss and
> > libdvdcss2?  I have libdvdcss-1.2.8 installed.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Xiaotian
> >

> Have you ever played that particular DVD title on your computer before?
> Some studio-pressed DVD titles display erratic and unpredictable
> behavior when you play them with one or more DVD playing applications.
> That's why I install several on my machine. I've had titles play in
> accelerated mode, and I've had other titles refuse to play at all, even
> though the disks mounted.

No, I had never played this particular title before.  It was rented
from Netflix.  So this is supposed to be a "normal" behavior with
mplayer or xine when playing certain DVDs?  I can understand they may
not be able to playback certain DVDs, but freezing up the whole
computer is just too much of a risk I don't want to take.

> And while I'm on the subject: I have /never/ been able to play any DVD
> title that I created using the "DVD Builder" application from Roxio. I
> always get an error message questioning my rights to the title.
>
> Temlakos

Xiaotian